Monday, February 16, 2009

Here is a list of the Italian news outlets that I will be focusing on for this project. I picked out a few that cover a variety of issues from different perspectives. I plan to use these media outlets as my main source for analysis and comparison about current events in Italy and around the world.

-Andkronos International (AKI) is an independent news agency that is focused on information exchange, research and dialogue between Italy, Europe and the emerging areas of Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Latin America.
http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/hp/

-Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (ANSA) is a national news agency that is made up of 36 members who are editors of major Italian newspapers who share the common goal to publish and distribute the news.
http://www.ansa.it/site/index.html

-LaSpecula.com is a multilingual online newspaper that provides news from all over the world. The website is divided up by region, covering events in Africa, America, Europe and Asia-Pacific.
http://www.laspecula.com/

-Football Italia is an offifial website for English-speaking fans of Italian football. It includes coverage of the players and the games as well as statistics and programming information.
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/index.html

-Only in Italy.com is a compilement of news stories from Italian publications that are funny and/or ironic. The makers of this website do not exploit outrageous stories from tabloids or sensational broadcasts. They cite that they only translate stories from mainstream daily newspapers.
http://www.onlyinitaly.com/index.html

-ZENIT News Agnecy is an outlet that attemps to view current events through the messages of the pope and the social doctrine of the Catholic Church. Their purpose is to inform the public about the topics, debates and events that are especially interesting to Christians worldwide.
http://www.zenit.org/index.php?l=english

As you can see, some of the sites I picked are just for fun. I have an interest in soccer and it will be fun for me to follow an Italian football news outlet. Also, I like seeing some humor in everything I do, and I think that reading some ridicuous real published articles will be fun.

The other news services I listed are for comparison purposes. I will utilize them to see how different view points determine what story is the lead, or what adjectives are used or if there is any obvious bias among the outlets. It will be interesting to see which outlets decide what events to include and focus on or to leave out of their publication entirely.

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is great that one of the outlets you chose to focus on is Football Italia. I think you may be one of the few bloggers looking at sports media. I'm not sure if you have this information, but I would be interested to know the comparison to how many Americans watch Football Italia vs. how many Italians watch ESPN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that a sports outlet would be fun to add into the mix and give some different perspective. I'll try to look up some statistics on how many Italians follow ESPN, that would be interesting. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete